Did you know that 22% of internet purchases result in returns because the actual goods don’t match the pictures? Your customers’ expectations of what they are looking at are formed by taking expert product photos that communicate the correct story. Additionally, it is always their concern that the goods won’t live up to their expectations.
For any business which is operating on ecommerce platforms, it is very important to illustrate the look and feel of the product via product photography. Since the consumers are seeing your product without touching it, it is essential for ecommerce businesses to present the product in a way that is visually appealing to your consumers. Here’s where the role of ecommerce photography comes into the picture.
In order to exhibit products in a way that encourages engagement, sales, and client loyalty, photoshoot for online products is essential to the success of online enterprises.
What is Ecommerce Photography?
Ecommerce photography is the process of taking pictures of goods that are being sold online. To help potential buyers make informed decisions about what to buy, Ecommerce shoot aims to present products in an accurate and appealing manner. Unquestionably, an image has power, particularly in online advertising. When you post high-quality product photos on your website or social media pages, your chances of making a lot of sales go up. Increased sales correlate with the expansion of business.
Types of Ecommerce Photography
Customers are always drawn to images before reading the text on the website. This suggests that it is imperative to make sure your product images are appealing and of the highest caliber.
Regardless of whether you are using pictures given by your manufacturer or investing on your own for the product photoshoot, it is essential for you to have a basic understanding of the different types of the product photography that are required for an eCommerce business.
In this article, we have curated the different types of images that you can use for your marketing campaigns and promotion.
- Product-only image- This is the simplest form of product photography that you can conduct. Simply place your product against a solid background (can be a studio or your home), and click pictures of the product.
- Lifestyle photography- It is a style of photography where professionals place your product in a way that showcases the product in real-life situations.
- In-process photography- In this photography style, the photographer captures shots of the products being crafted and manufactured.
A process photo would be ideal for demonstrating to your customers the time, effort, and craftsmanship that went into the creation of your products if you are selling handcrafted goods or producing the goods that you sell online.
- Scale Shot- When consumers buy online, the foremost concern that comes into their minds is the size of the product. This is where the role of scale shot comes into place.
The scale shot can help your potential customer understand visually what sizes your products are available in addition to the product specifications or sizing chart.
- Detail Shot- Detail shots are close-up photographs of your goods. The best aspects and angles of your products can be highlighted for potential customers using this style of product photography. This is best suited when you are in the clothing business.
- Model Photography- Models are used in model photography to display clothing and accessories. Customers can better picture a product’s appearance and fit on a person with the aid of this style of photography.
- Group Photography- Several products are photographed together in this form of photography, either as a collection or in a specific arrangement. Customers may then be able to observe how certain products work well together or how they fit into a collection.
Benefits of Ecommerce Photography
Nowadays, more and more companies are increasing their online stores by utilizing the various advantages of product photography, and for a good reason.
Product photography is an investment for businesses when done properly since it helps them increase sales, establish a reputation, and differentiate themselves from rivals.
There are plenty of benefits of ecommerce photography, and a few of them are:
- Encourage Sales- To persuade and convince clients to make a purchase is one of the main benefits of having quality product photographs. You can persuade potential buyers to buy your goods by utilizing photographs to emphasize their aesthetics.
- Product Appeal- Product photography may improve the aesthetics of your goods, making them much more appealing to customers with the appropriate lighting and a creative eye.
- Increase online visibility- If your products look appealing online, it aids in visual merchandising. In order to attract clients online and increase brand awareness, eye-catching product photos are frequently the foundation of many content marketing initiatives.
- Improved conversions- Product photos that are clear, well-lit, and comprehensive can assist in enhancing sales and conversion rates.
- Improved social media interaction- To boost engagement and direct traffic to the online store, high-quality product photography can be employed in social media marketing efforts.
Ecommerce Photography Equipment
After we have understood the meaning and importance of ecommerce photography and how it helps in making your business hit in the online space, let’s discuss the core equipment that is important for e-commerce photoshoots.
- Camera- For taking high-quality product photographs, a digital camera with manual controls and a high resolution is required.
- Lens- It’s necessary to use a lens with a wide aperture and a focal length appropriate for the style of photography being done. For instance, a 50mm lens with a wide aperture is perfect for taking pictures of products.
- Tripod- A tripod aids in-camera stabilization and lessens blur brought on by shaky hands.
- Lightings- For ecommerce product photoshoots, lighting is essential. Depending on the type of photography being done, a lighting setup could contain a combination of softboxes, light stands, and light bulbs.
- Backgrounds- For product photography, a simple or stylish background is necessary. Depending on the products being photographed, a backdrop stand and various colored backgrounds could be required.
- Props- Hangers, tape, pins, and clamps are just a few examples of props and styling equipment that can be utilized to style objects and produce original photos.
- Editing software- Images can be improved by adjusting brightness, contrast, color balance, and other factors using editing software like Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. You can also automate this by using Spyne. Spyne uses AI trained in more than 25 million images and gives many facilities to ecommerce retailers. These facilities and benefits include quick validation of images, color correction, background replacement, magic erasers, removing watermarks, etc. This will help in enhancing product images without bearing costs for product photography.
Definition, check, benefits check, equipment check, let’s roll on to the tips and tricks that will make your product look enhanced on your ecommerce platform.
Having excellent product photography can make it much easier to improve the usability of your ecommerce site. If you are not a pro at it, here are a few tips and tricks that we advise in case you want to win the photography game!
- Click the picture of the entire product- The shot of your photo must be level, straight, and free of wrinkles, with a good amount of empty space surrounding it. Clear photography increases the credibility of your business.
- Ensure that the product is exposed appropriately– This implies that in order to avoid shadows and dark regions on your products, additional light sources may occasionally be required.
- Keep consistency in sizing- You must keep a good enough margin when clicking a picture. If this is not done, it makes your product look visually unbalanced and gives a negative user-browsing experience.
- Add reflections- Your products come to life when you add reflections to them. It gives your product a luxurious look. The easiest way to do it is either by editing it or by using a mirror.
- Provide photographs of each product- Make sure your website contains images of each color you provide for a product if you do. Your average order value and cart size both grow when clients purchase more than one color.
E-commerce Product Photography: Outsource Or DIY?
With the growing digital market, it is essential for you to regularly publish new content. This means that effective product photography is a constant requirement for any profitable ecommerce venture.
Here are a few factors that can help you decide whether you should outsource or DIY your ecommerce photography-
- Budget- Diy photography could be more affordable if you have a tight budget. However, hiring an expert photographer might save you time and result in better pictures that can increase sales.
- Skills and expertise- If you have photography knowledge and expertise, you can create high-quality photographs on your own. Yet, hiring a professional can help you acquire high-quality pictures that effectively portray your products if you’re new to photography or don’t have much expertise.
- Equipment- DIY might be a good alternative if you already have the backdrop, lighting, and camera needed for product photography. Outsourcing, however, might be more economical if you need to buy or rent equipment.
- Editing- Professional photographers frequently include Ecommerce photo editing and retouching in their post-processing packages, which can save you time and work. If you lack post-processing expertise, outsourcing can guarantee you get high-quality photographs.
- The number of products- Outsourcing can be more effective and time-saving if you have a lot of products to photograph, enabling you to concentrate on other areas of your business.
In the end, your particular business requirements and resource availability will determine whether you choose to DIY Product Photography or outsource your product photography. In order to choose the best course of action for your company, it’s critical to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
Maintaining your online product photography in-house has a few advantages. But, your team is already overworked. Alternatively, you might not require that many product photographs annually. Or you don’t have the space in your annual budget to engage a full-time photography production and editing staff.
In this situation, outsourcing is used. By hiring ecommerce product photographers to handle your ecommerce product photography needs, you can save time, money, and aggravation.
How Much Does Product Photography Cost
If you are someone looking for product photography, then this is another major question that arises. We have listed down a few factors that influence the cost of ecommerce product photography services for your online store-
- The number of products- More time and resources will be needed to photograph more items, which could raise the price.
- The complexity of the products- The price of the photography may go up if your products have exquisite details or call for specialist lighting or equipment.
- Background and styling- The price can vary depending on the background and design you desire for your product photographs. For instance, a white background with a straightforward style could cost less than a more sophisticated setup with accessories and several background colors.
- Photographer- Experienced and skilled ecommerce photographers often charge more for their services.
- Location- Depending on where you live, ecommerce product photography studio costs can change. In larger cities with a higher cost of living, prices could be higher.
Ecommerce product photoshoot pricing includes the cost of the photographer, makeup artists, retouchers, models, studio, ambiance, props, lighting, and stylist.
Product photography costs often range from $20 to $500 per image. Nonetheless, some photographers could provide volume discounts or package deals. It’s crucial to shop around and compare prices from many photographers to locate one that fits your needs and your budget. It’s also crucial to think about the return on investment that professional product photography or ecommerce fashion photography may bring to your company.
The best way to identify your greatest fit is to take the time to investigate the local market and speak with each supplier on your shortlist. Add studios and independent contractors for the 360-degree view of pricing.
One of the best business decisions you will ever make is to invest in ecommerce product photography for your eCommerce store. You’ll see an increase in your conversion rate, but you’ll also be able to draw in more clients by enhancing your marketing efforts with top-notch unique photos that highlight your product’s USPs.
In conclusion, product photography for online businesses is essential to the success of any online business. Investing in high-quality product photos can help your business stand out in a crowded market, enhance customer satisfaction, boost sales, and foster trust. You can start your search by typing in google the following keyword “Ecommerce photography near me”.