Website optimization is the procedure of creating changes in your website so that it appears on top of search engine result pages. The higher the relevance the search engine determines your website has for a given search, the higher the website ranking. It increases the traffic and conversion rate of your website.
It is essential to know how to optimize website speed also since the speed determines the success of the website. A slow website can result in loss of traffic and can harm the reputation of your business as well.
Below are the 10 best techniques to understand how to optimize website speed:
1) Your home page should not be overloaded – Keep your website clutter-free. Too much content, images, videos can slow down the website.
2) Above the fold content - It's an extremely important thing to learn when knowing how to optimize website speed. The “above the fold “ area is the first thing people see when your website’s homepage is loaded. Use this section appropriately, by attracting the client's eyes while the rest of the content of the website loads. Putting the logo of the company can do this and a call to action button, other images or texts, which grab attention, can also be used.
3) Avoid using too much media – Using too much media can take heavy bandwidth and slows the loading time affecting the website speed.
4) Optimize the images as well – Use JPEG format instead of PNG. JPEG files are more web optimized and are able to download faster.
5) Avoid texts in images–Text in images load slower. The text will load quickly and the image will follow up, for a few seconds the visitor will not know the relevance of that text, and a few seconds are enough for them to lose their interest. The only exception here can be logos. Logo’s, which have text in them, are not a big problem.
6) Text over design – As mentioned above, texts load quicker than images or animations, which is why they should be used wherever possible instead of images. A fast loading text header attracts attentions quickly which enhances the viewers experience on the website
7) Less number of styles and fonts – Fancier the font, the more time it will take to load. Also, avoid using font weights such as bold, italics, underline since they also affect the performance of the website
8) Avoid animated GIF’s - Animation on website slows it’s speed down, however, it cannot be avoided easily since they are very attractive. What can be avoided easily is the usage of animated GIF’s because they take even more time to load. Large GIF files are capable of slowing everything on the website
9) Stress on mobile performance as well – People are shifting to surfing websites on their palm-sized mobile phones, having a mobile website is not enough. The website needs to have all the information in less space. Make use of that space wisely by not putting irrelevant or fancy text/images.
10) Third-party applications must be restricted – It adds a lot of time to your website’s loading speed since in lay man’s language “it’s a website inside a website”
These are the 10 techniques that can be learned when understanding how to optimize website speed.